Moon Phases

CURRENT MOON

Friday, April 8, 2011

Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard


Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard
Oberon Zell Raven Heart
Career Press, 2004


It took me a week to read this awesome book and let me tell you it was an adventure. Fact filled loaded with all sorts of information and mind you not just about magick but also information about science, history and mathematics. After all Magick is a science which involves forming hypotheses, experiments and recording your observations.

For anyone just getting started with magick this book is one of those that i would call perfect. It gives you an over view of a variety of magical systems. It covers Ceremonial magick, Wicca, Celtic, alchemy etc. I think you get the idea. The book does make a point of separating magick from religion. It is a book about technique and practice. The author may have written the book for teenagers but I find that iit is an excellent guide for adults.

Oberon Zell writes instructions in an easy to follow fashion. For the first time i now know how to consecrate my magical tool and even have followable instructions on how to engrave them. Awesome. For the first time I know how to plan and perform a ritual whether solitary or for a group. Oberon gives a very easy to understand outline along with concise explanations about what you are supposed to to do to carry out each step. The sigil making part was great any beginner in magic can read the section and know exactly what they are supposed to to. If there is magic then this book will show you how to do it.

The book comes loaded with table and comparisons of different mythologies, times, correspondences and Gods. Use these table as you will find them invaluable in doing your magick. I look forward to reading the author's follow up. Normally I would a summary of the book I read but the information is just too exhaustive. I will refer to this book again and again as I take my steps down the path of magical growth.

Not only is Oberon Zell Ravenheart a great author but his book also has contribution from such magical greats as Raymond Buckland, Donald Michael Kraig, Telesco and Raven Grimassi. This goes beyond any Wicca 101 book put oout by Llewelyn.

I give it a four star rating because despite the excellent content the publisher left out the appendices, index and bibliography. It was supposed to be there and the table of contents has it listed. I contacted the author and he said he would contact the publisher. I am waiting to hear from the publishers.

No comments:

Baba-Sali

Baba-Sali
Holy Morroccan Sage engaged in Prayer

Blog Archive

About Me

One blond hair blue eyed Calfornian who totally digs the Middle East.