Moon Phases

CURRENT MOON

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Living Wicca


Living Wicca
Scott Cunningham, Llewellyn Publications
September 8, 2002

Scott Cunningham was not only a luminary for Wicca but in my humble opinion he was a luminary for spirituality in general. Ask any magical person and all they have is praise for Scott Cunningham. That is very rare.

Scott Cunningham was versed in all sorts of magic. His specialty was Wicca. This book continues were his book "Wicca for the Solitary Practitioner" left off. since many Wiccan and magical practitioners in fact have no access to an actual coven are reliant upon self teaching. The solitary practitioner will have to develop his or her own Wiccan tradition while sticking close to the original Wiccan foundation. Scott Cunningham gives the beginner a foundation with which to build there own tradition.

The solitary Wiccan will have to be self taught. Scott Cunningham give the neophyte the tools for such an endeavor. There are 4 basic tools for the lone practitioner. The first one is study. The lone Wiccan can read books to get their information. Books can take you pretty far as can a teacher or high priest but remember this eacch has it's limitations and both can only answer so many questions. The next tool is thought. Think for yourself and question everything. The next is prayer. pray to the God and Goddess for guidance when you are perplexed. Lastly experiment. Do the magic and see what works for you.

What about illness? Should you do your rituals when you are sick? Sickness affects individuals in a variety of ways. The common sense approach is to modify your rituals accordingly and if you are seriously ill enough you may have to skip out. As an individual practitioner you will read up on many things. Gonna have to weed through it and decide what works best for you.

I have taken a lot of material and wrote it down in my book of shadows. Some of it i have modified for my own personal use. Here a general outline for a self initiation.

Self intiation
1) Purification
2) Alter Set Up
3) Cast Circle and call quarters
4)Invoke Goddess and God.
5)Symbolic death of the old self
6)Pray to Goddess and God- a dedication
7) Cakes and Ale-Relaxation
8) Thank the Goddess and God and open the circle.

Many people will talk about learning Wiccan Mysteries and how most books do not teach the Wiccan mysteries. One does not need to be taught Wiccan mysteries directly. Simple observation of nature can teach you a lot. Watching an apple grow then fall from the tree and go through the process of decomposition and eventually sprout into a tree can teach us about the cycle of life and death. Scott Cunningham fills this chapter with plenty of examples.

The part I liked best about the book was the sections dealing with prayers to the God and Goddess. I have copied several items down and modified them for my own use. Scott Cunningham informs us that the Goddess and God dwell within each of us as they do without. We need to pray to the God and Goddess and regularly as well as leave offerings. We also need to leave regular offering as well.

This is my morning prayer partially modified.

Oh Goddess within
Oh God within
oh Goddess of the moon, waters and the earth
Oh God of the forests and mountains.

Remember our prayers need to be respectful.

Oh Goddess within
Oh God within
oh Goddess of the moon, waters and the earth
Oh God of the forests and mountains
i give thanks to you for all the wonderful
things in this life Job wife and health

Oh gracious Goddess
Oh Gracious God
Lend me strength, health and love during this coming day.
assist me with the challenges ahead. Share your divine wisdom teach me to respect all things.
Remind me that the greatest power of all is love
Blessed Be.
( I then light the candle)

I then start my second morning prayer

bless this day sun of Fiery Light
Bless this day prepare me for the night.
Fire growing , sun is glowing
growing and flowing down on me.
( I light candle number 2)

i then do my incense offering and here is the prayer

What I take I freely give, accept this offering great god and goddess.
Tis a symbol of my devotion. May it strengthen my bond with you.

(I now light my tea light to burn the rose water)

This is my prayer for the pendulum

Oh Goddess with in
Oh God with in
Oh Goddess of the moon , water and the earth.
Oh God of the forests and mountain
Oh shining ones of great wisdom
Guide this pendulum in my hand if you so please
Guide me please to discern the truth Help me if you will.

I have also included an outline for a simple rite that can be used if you are on the go or an ultra beginner.

1) Cast a circle
2)invoke the Deities
3) State you reason
4) state need and ask for assistance
5) Thanks Deities
6)close the ritual

Some valuable technique also include raising the energy. I have copied two method for my book of shadows
Basic Model
1) Visualize your need
2)Raise energy
3) release your energy


method 1

! Visualize your need
2) repeat like a mantra you need or desire saying it faster and faster as you tighten your muscles.
3)Release the energy

Method 2
1) Visualize your need
2)dance clock wise and make it faster each time.
3) Collapse on the floor
To send the energy out you visualize your need and then direct it out with your athame

as you can see the book is comprehensive and loaded with information. It is simple and easy to read giving one a direct connection to the Goddess and God. He gives further information on what tools you will need and how to organize your book of shadow.
This book is an A+

No comments:

Baba-Sali

Baba-Sali
Holy Morroccan Sage engaged in Prayer

Blog Archive

About Me

One blond hair blue eyed Calfornian who totally digs the Middle East.